Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I admit it

So here in Delhi, and I'm going to go ahead and unflinchingly extend this generalization to all of India, there are some pretty fabulous sartorial choices, some hilariously heinous ones, and also some that are down right outdated. For example, the metro is usually filled with a rainbow of colors and enough patterns to make your head spin (or induce flashback hallucinations, really it's no wonder so many people vomit in the metro).

There is certainly an art to pairing Indian clothes. Matching is ideal, the idea of things "going" together is not a universally recognized concept, and no black and brown do not go together, yes your bag and shoes do have to match, and yes, three or more people at your office will tell you within 30 minutes of entering if you have done anything wrong. Even if you thought you were pretty stylin, and feeling kind of sassy that day. You will be knocked down some pegs, be warned.

For the most part I stay true to myself. I take considerate advantage of the new incorporation of legging into the "Indian clothes" category (as opposed to "Western clothes", by the way). However, in much the same way that I enjoy certain things that I am not allowed to do at home for example, eat with my hands, be visibly sweaty, take my shoes off in nice places, and push, I do admit to breaking certain rules. I wear pants under dresses: usually my baggy Indian ones. This is something that Anika does and it looks good, this is something I do, and I look like I forgot to shave my legs, which is usually true. Also, my legs rarely see the light of day, so I worry for the safety of people's retinas when I take them out to play.

The next thing I'll admit to is something that I am actually sort of embarrassed about. I have succumbed to one of the larger trends of the late 90s early 00s, a trend that is only eclipsed by the scrunchy in its uncoolness, the claw clip. Everyone wears them here and there's a reason. It's hot! They don't pull all your hair out! (hairfall is an epidemic in Delhi). It doesn't mess up your hair if you just want to put it up for a second, or keep the front from plastering to your face. That's my justification and I'm sticking to it. To be fair, I resisted for the better part of 5 months, and the hottest months as well. That has to count for something.


And the last thing I'll add: you know that feeling when you get up and all you want to do is put on something cosy, or stay in your pj's and the thought of tights or jeans makes you want to just kiel over (Dad, you know what I'm talking about, sometimes tights just don't cut it!). Well I basically just get to feel like I'm wearing PJs to work most days, so that makes most of the other rules worth following.

Love,
Violet

3 comments: