Saturday, March 9, 2013

Local Celebrity


So after strawberry cremes, we headed to Bandra. We went to this hilarious place called the hawaiian shack: all the (Indian) waiters were dressed in hawaiian shirts and straw hats (see photo). It's even worse than it looks. There is just something particularly hilarious about disgruntled Indian bartenders in straw hats that are too small for them. At first they were playing terrible 80s music (surprisingly run of the mill here), and there were lot of swaying old guys. Finally they started playing something better, and by that I mean Enrique Iglesias. It's not great but I can get down to that, so I started dancing a bit. 

Then a guy comes up to me and says I'm the lucky "randomly selected" customer who gets to stand on the bar and pour a bottles worth of free shots into customers' mouths. I'm like: why not? Luckily, I was "randomly selected", like they pulled a name out of a hat. I'm like: I'm the only white person, one of 4 girls, and definitely the only one dancing like I'm Selena... "random". Anyhow, I'm game for anything.
So, they announce me (wyerlet from america!!) and I get on the bar, I give some free shots, dance a bit, take one for myself (at this point I realize that its like 90% cranberry juice), give some more-- and by that I mean standing on the bar, over guys with wide open mouths pouring booze in. Then I can't help but decide to be dramatic and pour the last sixth of the bottle in my mouth, again, all cranberry juice (no false advertising rules in India). I get down, but the owner wants me to keep dancing on the bar. At that point people are buying too many drinks so I don't. 

I get off the bar, and decide to go upstairs, because too many people are approaching me. I dance upstairs for a while with my friend (better music up here, indian stuff and house) when I hear my name. I go to the dj booth and they have dedicated a song to me. Then they insist I dance in the booth which is a elevator thing that goes between the two floors. Every time the dj booth goes down the people on the top call to have it go up. Eventually the manager writes his name and number on a napkin, gives it to me, and says that if I ever want a job, I should call him, oh and that he just bought a super fast bike from the actor Salman Khan, I said: oh too bad, I'm a Shahrukh fan. 

Love,
Violet

1 comment: